HAPPY 4TH OF JULY WEEKEND! While our celebrations may look different this year, we can still enjoy some of our favorite traditions. FOOD! Before we heat up the barbecue let’s prepare a flavorful dessert.
Our gardens or markets are full of flavorful goodness this time of the year and I enjoy taking advantage of these seasonal foods. This shortcake is no different. I’ve had this recipe for awhile and love doing something different with it each time. Let’s start with the basics.
- 1 package yellow cake mix (angel food cake, chocolate cake or white cake work beautifully).
- 1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping (thawed). Homemade whipped topping is delicious too. (Pioneer Woman has a GREAT recipe)
- 1 small package instant vanilla pudding mix.
- 1 Cup milk, 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- 1 pint blueberries, 1 pint strawberries sliced (rinsed and drained)
- Prepare the cake according to directions in a 9×13 inch pan. COMPLETELY COOL THE CAKE.
- in a separate bowl: Mix the vanilla pudding mix, milk and vanilla until smooth. Fold in the whipped topping (gently).
- Place the blueberries in a square on the top left of the cake and place the strawberries as stripes to make the American Flag. Chill until ready to serve.
I would love to hear what sweet treats you enjoy on this holiday weekend. Comment below how you would mix up this recipe. Sometimes I like to macerate the fruit but be careful not to turn them into mush. This is a versatile process that is all about your choice of taste. I enjoy getting my recipes from multiple sources such as Pioneer Woman, All Recipes, or the good old Food Network. I always enjoy the creative process and have fun making things my own.
Don’t forget to stay safe and healthy this weekend. Check out my Instagram/Facebook/Pinterest @sewmuchglitter for the latest creations. If I have inspired you, post to your social media and tag #sewmuchglitter.
HAPPY FOURTH! ENJOY.